This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was very good. I had only read one other Jenny Han books before this, and that was To All the Boys I've Loved Before. Right now, I also have P.S. I Still Love You on my to-read bookshelf. This book was better than I thought it would be. Belly is a 15 year girl who is spending this summer just like all her other summers, at the beach house with her family. They share the beach house with Belly's moms best friend and her boys. Belly has a crush on both of Savanah's boys. Savanah is Belly's mom's friend. But this year, Belly finds another boy in her beach town that she likes. Cam is different than most boys. He actually cares about her and doesn't do drugs. Will Belly get the boys she wants
I thought this book was written very neatly. There was a chapter or two in present tense, then a chapter flashback of another summer. Normally this would confuse me, but it just gave the book more feeling. Speaking of feeling, I felt this book had a poetic flow to it. It flowed smoothly and I found myself reading it rapidly. It wasn't a complex read, and it was easy to soar through. This isn't a book that kept me reaching for it at my every spare moment, but it still kept me wanting to read more. I think this romance is just like the other Jenny Han books I've read. It has the same problems, having mixed feelings about many boys, and having to choose the boy she likes the most. I think the ending was good, but a little too perfect. It was perfect, but was made dramatic, if you know what I mean. The boys are all idealistic representations, and don't really act like real boys. I found a reference to "Summer Nights", a "Grease" song which was really neat. I also liked the descriptive writing style that was in this book. All in all, this was a neat romance that will please a true romantic.

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Wow i really have to get to this one, everyone’s talking about it!
    I tagged you in the Harry Potter Spells tag! :D Enjoy!

    http://justanotherbookishblog.blogspot.nl/2015/09/harry-potter-spells-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tagging me. I will do the tag as soon as possible!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any Jenny Han books yet, but they sound so good!! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try to read her books. They are great romances. Thanks!

      Delete