This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Review: Lock and Key

Lock and Key Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I think this book was really good. It focuses on a girl named Ruby. Ruby is in her senior year of high school. Sorry, but I am running short on time, so here is the Goodreads blurb for it.
Ruby, where is your mother?
Ruby knows that the game is up. For the past few months, she's been on her own in the yellow house, managing somehow, knowing that her mother will probably never return.

That's how she comes to live with Cora, the sister she hasn't seen in ten years, and Cora's husband Jamie, whose down-to-earth demeanor makes it hard for Ruby to believe he founded the most popular networking Web site around. A luxurious house, fancy private school, a new wardrobe, the promise of college and a future; it's a dream come true. So why is Ruby such a reluctant Cinderella, wary and defensive? And why is Nate, the genial boy next door with some secrets of his own, unable to accept the help that Ruby is just learning to give?

Best-selling author Sarah Dessen explores the heart of a gutsy, complex girl dealing with unforeseen circumstances and learning to trust again.


First of all, I need to say that I loved this book. It displayed the emotions so truly. The story of an orphaned kid may be old news now, but this book is so much else. It has amazing romance. Ruby is kind of dating Nate, the boy next door. Her feelings for him are real and will relate with anyone, teenage girl or not. I also like how different Ruby's two "lives" are. Her old one is full of drunk and poor people. I am not saying they are bad, but they are complete opposite from her new life with her sister Cora. Cora and her husband are rich people who are open and way more prep. Ruby has a regular transition from one "life" to another. The characters were dynamic and all different. They added a lot to the story and were probably the highlight. Everyone had their own story, and they were set up perfectly. I also liked the themes and life lessons I got from this book. I learned that family has many definitions. It can be a group of people you are really close to, or just the people you love. Family is always changing. That lesson was my personal favorite part of this book. Sarah Dessen did a great job with this book and I can't wait to read Saint Anything, which is on my to-read list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment