This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Review: The Selection

The Selection The Selection by Kiera Cass
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Selection is the first book in The Selection series by Kiera Cass. I had been hearing a lot of buzz about this series, and wanted to see if it was as good as people said. I usually like sci-fi, but the only books I liked with princesses and princes were the books in the Princess Diary series. Well, that all changed, and now I can't wait to read the second book.

America Singer is just a poor musician who is living her teenage life just fine. She is secretly dating a boy a bit poorer than her. Both Aspen, her boyfriend, and her mom make her enter the Selection. It is a drawing that sends 35 girls to the Capitol to meet Prince Maxon. He has to eliminate them, and in the end marry one. America gets picked, and she is not happy about this. Her mom is though, because it will make them richer. America's plan is to be a disgrace and leave early, because she can't imagine marrying someone as stiff as the prince. Once she meets him, she changes her opinion and becomes friends with him. Will he pick her to be the Selected?

I really loved the characters in this book. America was a typical teenage girl. As a five, she isn't rich but isn't the poorest around. She shows real personality, and I can relate to most of her decisions. I especially understood why she didn't want to marry the Prince at first. Her opinions come through loud and clear, with lots of emotions. Prince Maxon was a surprisingly sweet and funny guy. He wasn't the jerk he was made out to be in the first part of the book. He had a funny and complete personality. All the other characters were just as interesting. Marlee was my favorite of America's friends. She was funny as well, and just comical and peppy.

The plot of this book kept me guessing. It isn't a short book, but a finished it in a little over 24 hours. It was not fast nor slow paced, and it flowed just right. I felt like the romance between Maxon and America was the best part of the story, but there were a lot of side stories and extra information that fit in ferfectly. I liked learning about the maids in particular, because their story added perfectly.

The writing style was amazing. That is what kept the plot moving and kept me wanting more. Kiera Cass is a genius writer because she writes descriptively and adds more to everything. I will definitely read more of her books.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and can't wait to read book two!

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I just love this series. It's a very cute series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am on book 3 now, and it hasn't disappointed me yet!

      Delete