This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Review: Elijah of Buxton

Elijah of Buxton Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Elijah of Buxton is an interesting read that is kind of strange.

Elijah is an 11 year old boy who lives in Canada. His parents escaped slavery before he was born, and he was the first "free" boy born in the town of Buxton. He is growing up and learning about slavery and other adutlish things. While on a secret mission, he gets to go to America.

This book was very dull. It dragged on and didn't really get exciting until the last 100 pages or so. There were not many changes, and it was just a lot of talk. I think this book could be a little shorter. I liked The Mighty Miss Malone and Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis, so I was surprised I didn't like this one.

The writing was very hard to read, and it is confusing. I know it is supposed to represent how they really would have talked or thought, but it just got in the way of a potentially good story. Here are a couple quotes from this book. I got these quotes from goodreads.

“his sermons go on so long that some of the time you feel like begging, "Take me now, Jesus," 'bout halfway through 'em.”
― Christopher Paul Curtis, Elijah of Buxton

“Doggone it all!”
― Christopher Paul Curtis, Elijah of Buxton

Okay, I am done with that now. Those quotes don't even begin to describe how confusing the writing style was.

The only really decent part of this book was the historical element. The author did a good job talking about a difficult topic nowdays with such skill and ease.

Sorry for such the doozy of a review. I kept putting off writing it.

I give this book 2.5 stars.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment