This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Friday, December 4, 2015

Review: Midnight for Charlie Bone

Midnight for Charlie Bone Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Midnight for Charlie Bone is pretty much a fast paced version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone but meant for a younger audience.

Charlie Bone is a young boy who is just normal until one day. That day, he realizes that he can hear people in images talking. His evil grandmother finds out and makes him go to a special school for it. It is a school for artists, but it also houses the "gifted children". In the meantime, Charlie gets caught into a mystery about a missing girl. Many things go wrong while he is trying to solve this mystery.

First of all, you could kind of tell that this book was meant to be a Harry Potter rip-off. There were some things, such as the whole gifted school idea, and the prefects, that made them fairly similar. However, it was also different in many ways.

Secondly, I don't usually read fantacy. I only read this book because it was on a book list for a book competition I am in. However, this book honestly surprised me. It was honestly hard to put down sometimes, and was halfway interesting.

The characters in this book were odd. Charlie was just a normal character, who in my opinion didn't have much of a personality. Benjamin, his best friend, was the same way.(I think I feel this way because most young adult books have really unique characters with detailed personalities. Charlie's grandmother Bone and great aunts were the stereotypical villains. A few of the characters at Bloor' (the special school) have good personalities. They are unique and odd as well.

This book had a lot of action and intertwining parts. It was actually interesting to see how Charlie solved the mystery. I didn't realize before this book that most fantasy characters act pretty realistic. There was never really a dull spot once this book got going, which was kind of a refreshing change. This book also got started pretty quickly.

Overall, ths book wasn't that bad for a fantasy book. I give it 3.5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment