This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Review: They Never Came Back

They Never Came Back They Never Came Back by Caroline B. Cooney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

They Never Came Back by Caroline B. Cooney is a intriguing read with lots of twists and plot turns.

Murielle Lynman was just a little kid when her parents left for England. She would have went with them, but her aunt stopped her. Her parents were actually thieves and they stole money from people.
Cathy Ferris is a teenage girl who lives with her adopted mom and dad. She is studying Latin at this advanced summer school program. One day, a boy named Tommy Lynman accused Cathy of being Murielle. Is she?

This book was a little odd to me. The plot was very confusing, with it switching between present tense Cathy and past tense Murielle. It was actually fairly slow but confusing until a little after halfway through the book. Then it started to speed up, and surprised me with how well it held my attention. You learned some shocking news about halfway through the book as well. The end of this book is very strange as was the beginning. It might just be that I don't really like mystery books, except for a few Nancy Drew: #1-64 books.

I wish that Cathy would let herself fall in love with Spencer, the boy she carpools with. It was obvious that he wanted to date her, but she didn't really want anything to do with him. I am a sucker for a good romance story, and I think romance would have made this book a bit more well rounded.

The writing style in this book was peculiar. It made the book confusing. I don't even really know how to describe it.

The characters were interesting. Murielle was a spoiled kid who didn't get much attention. She was independent and not sure of whether to trust her parents or not. Cathy was a shy low lying teen who didn't really want to make a lot of friends.

I would have given this book two stars, but since it got better at the end I bunked it up a star.
Overall, this book is an okay book that I would recommend to any mystery lover.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment