This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Review: Crash

Crash Crash by Jerry Spinelli
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Crash by Jerry Spinelli is a decent book about a jock.

I can not come up with a good description for this, so I am going to use the goodreads one.
Newbery medalist Jerry Spinelli tackles the tale of cocky seventh-grade super-jock Crash Coogan, who got his nickname the day he used his first football helmet to knock his cousin Bridget flat on her backside. And he has been running over people ever since, especially Penn Webb, the dweeby, vegetarian Quaker kid who lives down the block. Through the eyes of Crash, readers get a rare glimpse into the life of a bully in this unforgettable story about stereotypes and the surprises life can bring.

This book started out pretty slow. I did not like Crash, because he was a jerk. I thought that the plot was a bit too perfect. Crash was a dream football player and runner without even trying. It might teach some kids that things come easy and that there is nothing to work for. Dispite that, I liked how Crash's perspective changed when something bad happened. He slowely viewed things differently without even noticing it.

The characters were funny. Crash was a jerky jock. He was a bully and thought he was perfect. However, that is honestly how some teenage jocks act. His best friend Mike, was kind of a representation of how Crash acted during the beginning of the book. He was a even worse jerk and made huge fun of the next character I am about to talk about. Penn Webb was a Quaker who tried to become friends with Crash when they were little kids. He later becomes friends with Crash's little sister.

I liked how Jerry Spinelli started out this book when Crash was a little kid, probably sometime before kindergarten. It made the setting of the book more vivid. It also added more background to the characters.

This book is a easy read, and I finished it in less than 24 hours, so I must have liked it that way.

Crash is a cute middle grade read about giving everyone a chance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment