This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Review: The Fourteenth Goldfish

The Fourteenth Goldfish The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L. Holm
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Fourteenth Goldfish was an interesting, easy, and surprisingly fun read.

Ellie is a sixth grader who is going through some changes, but nothing drastic. That is, until this strange boy shows up at her house claiming to be her grandfather. He was a scientist who was trying to create an anti-aging potion, and it actually worked. Since he turned into a teenager again, he goes to school with Ellie and dreams of ways to show the world that immortality is possible. Read the book to find out more.

I read this book for a book competition, and actually enjoyed it. I think that even though fantasy has never been my favorite, I will enjoy it if I try it. This book was half fantasy and half realistic fiction.

I thought this was a very sweet middle grade novel. It was a easy and short read that would actually teach readers something. The Fourteenth Goldfish should teach children about some famous scientists. Some of the scientists it talks about are Galileo, Newton, Salk, and Oppenheimer. I enjoyed this as much as I would a young adult novel, and would be a good read for anyone.

I liked how Ellie changed throughout the book. She started out really confident. Once she started middle school, things weren't as easy for her. Ellie really becomes mature when she is with her grandpa. She finally found out who she was near the end of the book.

This book touches on some interesting topics. It talks about what it would be like to be able to live immortally. I thought that was a hard concept to try to explain in a middle grade book, but Jennifer L. Holm did a really good job of it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting middle grade novel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment