This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Review: Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After by Kiera Cass

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Happily Ever After is a cute collection of short stories that go with The Selection series.

This will be harder than usual to write a review about, but I will go one story at a time.

The Queen is the first story in this collection, and it is in Queen Amberly's point of view. She is in The Selection and facing some troubles. She loves Prince Clarkson, but she gets headaches at the castle. Clarkson's parents are also cruel, and some of that cruelness rubs off on Clarkson. As we all know, Amberly becomes princess in the end.
I loved listening to Amberly's point of view. I looked up to her while I was reading the other Selection novels, so it was very interesting to see her during her Selection. It was also interesting to see where Clarkson got his abusiveness from.
I give it four stars

The Guard is obviously about Aspen. It starts when he is at the castle being a guard. He signed up because he loved America and wanted her. He faces troubles because he meets another girl she likes. He still wants America to love him.
I really didn't care for this short story because I was never on Aspen's team. I don't know why, but I just liked Maxon a lot better. All that really goes on in this book is him thinking over and over that he wants America, and criticizing Maxon.
I give it two stars

The Prince is another story in this collection. It is Maxon's thoughts during the Selection. He doesn't want it, and has some interesting thoughts about some of the girls he meets there. Maxon also has a sort-of crush on another girl who really likes him. Daphne is that girl, and she is important in another country. Will Maxon find his one true love?
This was definitely my favorite story in this collection. Unlike the other stories, this one is a bit less violent and a bit more humorous. It was neat to see what Maxon thought about the girls in the Selection.
I give it five stars

Last but not least, The Favorite is a short story about Marlee. It starts when she meets Carter. She gets caught with him and gets in trouble because he is a guard. However, Prince Maxon shows mercy on them and lets them hide in the castle instead of becoming eights.
I did not enjoy this story as much. Marlee was too love struck, and one-dimensional. It was neat to see how happy she was with Carter, and to see what she did in the castle all day. The descriptions in this book were probably the best part.

The short additions to this book were interesting as well, but I enjoyed the bonus epilogue to The One. It had me swooning like you wouldn't believe.

Overall, I enjoyed this collection, but not as much as the actual series. I give it 3.5 stars

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I'm not big on prequels and novellas, but these don't sound too bad. Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete