This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Monday, February 15, 2016

Review: Double Take

Double Take Double Take by Melody Carlson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Double Take by Melody Carlson is a touching story about two teenagers who switch lives for a week.

Madison Van Buren is a rich teenage girl living in NYC. It is spring break of her senior year, and she is sick of everyone putting pressure on her. Anna Fisher is an 18 year old Amish girl who wants a chance to experience the "English" life. When their paths cross at a train station, they decide that since they look the same, they will switch places for the week. Will they realize that they are lucky for the life they live?

I have read a few Amish fiction books before, and have enjoyed them. This book was a bit different. It was half Amish, but that half wasn't even told from the perspective of an Amish person. One series that is kind of similar is Summerhill Secrets, Volume 1 and Summerhill Secrets, Volume 2.
Another reason I picked up this book is I love books about two people switching places. Not just books, actually, but also movies and TV shows. This looked like a perfect take on that.

The cover of this book is kind of corny. Just look at it. Would you pick up this book on the cover alone? However, you are not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, so I will try not to do that.

I liked how different Madison and Anna were. Madison was the typical rich girl afraid to get her hands dirty. Anna was a good old fashioned Amish teenager, about to start looking for a husband. I also like how they both adapt to their temporary lives. Madison has a hard time living the simple and hard-working life at first. She soon adapts and develops a closer relationship to God. Anna has a really hard time getting into the English world. She talks funny, dresses funny, and has a hard time talking to Madison's friends.

The writing style in this book isn't anything special. I wanted to enjoy it, but it just wasn't as special as I thought it would be. Anna's scenes were very choppy, but that could just be the fact that she was speaking and thinking like an Amish person.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment