This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Review: Soundless

Soundless Soundless by Richelle Mead
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Soundless by Richelle Mead is an interesting and odd book.

Fei lives in a dystopian society where she is an artist and everyone is deaf. There are artists, miners, and servants in her Chinese community. The miners mine metals which they trade down the mountain they live in exchange for food. But when miners start going blind as well and can't mine as well, they get less food. At that same time, Fei starts to realize that she is able to hear.
When Fei hears that a young brave miner named Li plans to go down the mountain and bargain for more food, she wants to go along. But what they find in the place under the mountain is not what they expected.

The cover of this book is gorgeous. I think that is a picture of Fei, but what she is wearing doesn't really fit with what they say in the book about their clothing. It would have been better if they would have her wearing a red silk dress.

I don't really know how they call this book Chinese. The characters have Chinese names, and the clothing might be Chinese, but other that that there isn't much Chinese stuff.

I also don't get what genre this is. I checked this out from the library thinking it was sci-fi, and that is what it started out as. However, in the end, it turned into fantasy. There were flying big magical birds that could grant wishes.

Fei was a pretty good character, but she just believed what her society told her. She was kind of selfish, and seemed like she had no imagination. Li was the perfect miner boy, and even though they didn't really describe him in huge detail, he was still cute sounding. He was kind to Fei and also very brave.

The end of the book was very strange. The whole town rebelled against Fei when she came back to tell them the truth, and a huge war broke our. It was interestingly strange, but was probably the fastest paced part in the book.

Overall, this is an interesting fantasy-science fiction novel that wasn't really my cup of tea. I give it 3.5 stars. 

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I love the cover to this one too and have it on my TBR. It's just a shame that there isn't that much about China in this one, because that was the element I was really looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete