This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Friday, March 25, 2016

Review: Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

BEFORE YOU START READING THIS REVIEW, I AM SORRY FOR BEING SO NEGITAVE. I JUST DIDN'T FEEL THAT IT LIVED UP TO THE HYPE ABOUT IT.

Throne Of Glass was not the greatest book I have ever read, and I don't think it really lived up to it's hype.

Summery From Goodreads:
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.


Is it just me, or does this book seem suspiciously similar to The Selection. They were published at about the same time, but the castle vibe really made it have that sort of feel to it. It also was the same Crowned Prince meets outsider girl and falls in love story. Personally, I think The Selection pulled it off a lot better. This book also had a major Divergent feel to it. The part with the duels to the top were almost identical. Again, I think Divergent's scenes like that were a lot more interesting, and it was published a year earlier. And finally, the demon stuff: can anyone say City of Bones

This book is pretty long. I think that is one of the things that deterred me, because although I like longer books, since I am just getting into fantasy. That means I only stick with shorter fantasy books. It also droned on. This whole story could take place in 200 pages max. It is dragged on just like Harry Potter.

Celeana kind of annoyed me. She was so whiny and needy. She was also too much of a "great killer." I thought her character could have been a lot more thought out. The love triangle was also very usual. It was between Captain Westfall and Prince Dorian and Celeana. It was a bit too ordinary for my taste.

The writing was very descriptive, but not enough to make the story really move.

I thought the whole part with another realm was pretty weird. I'd gotten into this series because it didn't seem that it really had that much fantasy in it, but I was wrong. The part with the earlier queen and the demons was weird and made the story choppy.

Overall this was a not so great book that I didn't feel lived up to it's hype.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment