This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: The Memory of Light

The Memory of Light The Memory of Light by Francisco X. Stork
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Memory of Light is a very touching novel.

Vicky Cruz is suicidal. She tried to overdose and kill herself. When she is saved at the last minute, she is brought to Lakeview Mental Hospital. There, she learns that depression and suicidal thoughts are hard to get rid of, and that there are all sorts of mental illnesses. She meets some friends such as:
-Mona: She is hyper and lost her daughter.
-Gabriel: He hears a voice.
-E.M: He has anger issues.
She also meets Dr. Desai, who helps her. Vicky soon gets better and then goes to a recovery ranch with the group. There, a lot of drama happens.

First of all, let's look at this cover. It is gorgeous and totally fitting. I don't really get what the title has to do with the book though. Any ideas?

I picked up this book because it was on the new releases shelf at my local library. It wasn't something I expected to enjoy a lot. That being said, it was a more fun read than I expected. The characters were fun and nice, and the storyline kept you guessing.

I hadn't known much about mental illnesses before picking up this book. I couldn't understand why people would want to commit suicide, but now I know.

Vicky is a vibrant character who is just trying to be nice and a good girl. She doesn't want to hurt anyone by not being the kid her dad wants her to be, but that is what makes it harder for her to survive. She just wants to live a normal, happy life.

I loved all of the supporting characters. Mona was a perfect best friend to Vicky, and kept her company in the hospital. E.M was a surprisingly smart character with major anger issues. He showed Vicky a lot about herself. Gabriel was probably my favorite character. Francisco Stork really made him an in depth character. His voice he heard in his head made him very trouble.

The ending of this book was shocking. (view spoiler) I really thought the author wrapped up the book perfectly.

Overall, this is a very good book about the shocking truths about mental illness.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment