This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Salt to the Sea is a touching and realistic glimpse of WWII.

Winter, 1945. Four teenagers. Four secrets.

Each one born of a different homeland; each one hunted, and haunted, by tragedy, lies…and war.

As thousands of desperate refugees flock to the coast in the midst of a Soviet advance, four paths converge, vying for passage aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety and freedom.

Yet not all promises can be kept.


I am not a big fan of historical fiction novels. Also, I read Between Shades of Gray for a book competition one year and didn't really enjoy it. That being said, I was pretty hesitant to rewad this book. But since it was getting rave reviews from other bloggers, I tried it anyways.

The characters in this book are all so real and nice. Joana is a sweet nurse who gave up everything at a young age to help others. Emilia is a young girl who is Polish, pregnant, and a run away. Florian is a young adult who just wants to move to safety, and Alfred is a full of himself soldier. They are all so real and connectable. I also liked some side characters such as the "Shoe Poet" and the wandering boy.
I JUST RELIZED THAT JOANA FROM THIS BOOK IS THE SAME AS JOANA FROM BETWEEN SHADES OF GREY. I KNOW WHAT I AM RE-READING NOW.

I didn't know that WWII lasted for so long. I have just finished The Diary of a Young Girl so I thought that the war only lasted a few years.
The war events in this book were so scary and eye opening. It taught me a lot about the war, and I felt like crying in the end of the book. (view spoiler)

One confusing part of this book is the perspective changes. This book switches between 4 different perspectives, but all of the characters are so unique that it isn't too bad.

This is a really touching and heart felt historical fiction novel. I would recommend it to a non historical fiction lover as well as a historical fiction lover.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment