This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Review: Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars

I RECIEVED AN ARC OF THIS BOOK FROM THE AUTHOR AND EDELWEISS IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT MY VIEWS OR OPINIONS IN ANY WAYS.

Tone Deaf by Olivia Rivers left me with mixed emotions, but all of them were good.

Ali Collins is deaf. She is being abused by her father, and her mother is dead. After being dragged to a Tone Deaf concert by her best friend, she wins a backstage tour with the band. When the lead singer finds out that she is deaf, he throws a fit. Ali feels rejected, but is soon texted and being invited for another try at the tour. She and Jace (the lead singer) butt heads and basically ignore each other, until Jace decides to let Ali run away with them. Will her dad find out? And why does Jace want to do it?

First of all, let me tell you that Ali wasn't a fan of Tone Deaf, which made the book more interesting. She treated the band like they were real people, and not idols.

This book was strangely touching. It was more original than most young adult books. For one thing, there was no insta-love in this book. Jace and Ali ignore each other at first, but slowly warm up to each other. Also, there was no love triangle, which was refreshing. It was also nice to see characters with disabilities.

I loved the relationship between Jace and Ali. Once they get to know each other, it is still more of a friendly relationship. Jace has a backstory too, and it takes him a while to tell Ali about it. Some people might find it strange that he let her on the bus in the first place, but the author explains it.

There were some side characters that made the story more realistic. Arrow was a quiet boy who wanted to be a good musician. I don't really know that much about him. My favorite side character was Killer. Despite his name, he is a funny gay guy who is really nice to Ali and his boyfriend Arrow, and always wants the best for Jace.

The emotions in this book were strong. It was a fun and addicting read, but I felt like crying during some points in the book.

The writing style in this book wasn't the best I've ever read, but the actual story made up for it.

I am so stuck on what to rate this book. If only goodreads had half stars, because this is a solid 4.5 stars.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Great review! This one sounds so great. I love books with any kind of music theme. :D

    ReplyDelete