This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Monday, May 16, 2016

Review: The Unexpected Everything

The Unexpected Everything The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Unexpected Everything left me with unexpected and mixed feelings.

Blurb from Goodreads:
Andie had it all planned out.

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.

Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).

But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected.

And where’s the fun in that?


Lets get this straight first. I REALLY WANTED THIS BOOK. I don't know how many times I requested an arc on Edelweiss and even via email before finally giving up hope of ever getting one of those gems. But I still really wanted the book.
When it finally came, I started reading it right away. It was not a bad book, it just didn't draw my attention that well. Overall, it took me about 4 days to read it. For a book I was really looking forward to, that is pretty long, and the longest I have ever taken on a Morgan Matson book.

Andie was actually a very relatable character. She was a studious girl who had her whole future practically planned out. She kind of reminds me of the main character from another book I just finished, The Boyfriend Thief. I thought she was nice and all, but I really thought she wasn't that original of a character.

On the other hand, Clark was adorbs. He was sweet, kind, and not exactly everyone's dream boy. I liked how he (unlike Andie) was not a stereotypical character and was actually very unique. I loved that he was a bestselling fantasy writer. SERIOUSLY, A FANTASY WRITER. WHO WOULDN'T LOVE THAT. He was the clear gem in this book, and I would love to see him again in another book.

The plot was pretty cool. I thought it was funny how Andie's summer totally turned out unlike she planned. The dogs were fun to read about, and I wish I had Andie's friends.

Another gem in the story is Andie's dad. He is a congressman, and has never really been around for Andie. But when a scandal breaks apart his campaign, he quits and goes to live at home again. It is hard for both of them to get used to and awkward, since this is really the first time they have been around each other for any period of time since Andie's mom died.

The scandal at the end of the book taught a good message, but reminded me too much of Katie Finn, Morgan Matson's pen name. It was too much drama for me.

Overall, this book packs a good and UNEXPECTED punch in EVERYTHING. I would rate it a 4.5 star

View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. Nice review - I thought Andie's friendship group was another great thing about the story as it was a little different from Matson's other books. Which one of hers is your favourite? I just reviewed The Unexpected Everything on my blog too if you're interested: https://readbyjess.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/the-unexpected-everything-morgan-matson_22.html
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite Morgan Matson book is Amy and Roger's Epic detour.https://bethleesbookblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/amy-rogers-epic-detour.html
      I just checked out your review and liked it.

      I guess forgot about the friendship aspect while writing thishttps://readbyjess.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/the-unexpected-everything-morgan-matson_22.html review. I enjoyed that part, so I don't know why I didn't write about it?

      Delete
  2. For it being so long and such a big book, four days actually isn't too long for reading it! I guess that just shows how this one was so good and enjoyable. It looks like the ideal kind of summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you put it like that, it doesn't sound like that long after all. It is an ideal summer read!

      Delete