This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Review: Room 42

Room 42 Room 42 by Melody J. Bremen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Room 42 by Melody J. Bremen is a cute and easy middle grade novel.

Summery:
Dave is in the 8th grade. He is at Lakeville Boarding School, which is a school for kids with some sort of problem. For Dave, that problem is theft. Dave has a habit of taking things without knowing he took them. Anyways, he is counting down the days until he can go to a regular school when Tom comes along. Tom is a kid who doesn't know what plain means. He makes life a lot more interesting for Dave, but also makes it harder for Dave to get out of Lakeville. Will Dave learn to control himself.

I thought this book was very nice. It is a middle grade novel written for boys, which is a type of book I don't read often. When the author generously contacted me asking for reviews, I said yes, and am glad I did.

Dave was a kid a lot of elementary school boys could relate too. He had a problem with peer pressure and a big "quirk". Dave always knew how to be responsible, which would set a good example to young boys. Even I, as a teenage girl, could relate to him.

I also liked Tom's character. He was full of himself, which got him into trouble. He could also be sweet and nice. I know that there are really people like his in this world, so he was relatable. Tom and Dave were friends who went through on and off periods just like normal friends. There were other characters that were kind of stereotypical, but did still have some surprising depth.

Just like a middle grade novel should, this story was heavy on morals. Dave learned to be himself and to not fall for peer pressure. I thought that the themes were a little too hard pressed, but in a book like this it actually worked

Overall, this is a good book with great morals for younger boys. I give it 3.5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment