This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Review: Holding Up the Universe

Happy New Year!  Now, to my review.
Holding Up the Universe




Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven was a great book.

Summary from Goodreads:
Everyone thinks they know Libby Strout, the girl once dubbed “America’s Fattest Teen.” But no one’s taken the time to look past her weight to get to know who she really is. Following her mom’s death, she’s been picking up the pieces in the privacy of her home, dealing with her heartbroken father and her own grief. Now, Libby’s ready: for high school, for new friends, for love, and for every possibility life has to offer. In that moment, I know the part I want to play here at MVB High. I want to be the girl who can do anything.

Everyone thinks they know Jack Masselin, too. Yes, he’s got swagger, but he’s also mastered the impossible art of giving people what they want, of fitting in. What no one knows is that Jack has a newly acquired secret: he can’t recognize faces. Even his own brothers are strangers to him. He’s the guy who can re-engineer and rebuild anything, but he can’t understand what’s going on with the inner workings of his brain. So he tells himself to play it cool: Be charming. Be hilarious. Don’t get too close to anyone.

Until he meets Libby. When the two get tangled up in a cruel high school game—which lands them in group counseling and community service—Libby and Jack are both pissed, and then surprised. Because the more time they spend together, the less alone they feel. Because sometimes when you meet someone, it changes the world, theirs and yours.

This book was so good. I read it in like two days, and it got me out of my reading slump. I was hesitant about this book after reading All the Bright Places, which wasn't my favorite. This book was amazing.

I loved Libby's character. She was brave, outspoken, and funny. I liked how she was optimistic. It was such a difference from Violet from All the Bright Places.

I also enjoyed the "fat" talk. Libbie was so blunt about it, and she really expressed that people of every size should be treated the same.

Jack was a totally different story. He was a "popular" kid, and really would do anything to fit in. He also had face blindness. He couldn't see peoples faces, and had a hard time telling people apart.
I liked how he was a nice guy, despite his reputation. He was kind to Libby (while, not at first, but whatever).

I liked how the author tackled face blindness. I thought it was a neat topic to incorporate into the book. Jennifer Niven really made me understand what it was, and I liked how it is not usually mentioned in books.

The plot was a basic love at first sight, but with a comedy twist. I loved how fast the plot moved, and how there was a lot of humor in this book.

Overall, this is a great book that is really funny.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment