This blog is basically about the books I read. If you like it, please subscribe. It would also mean a lot if you could also tell me your opinion in the contact form.
Enjoy!

Friday, February 17, 2017

Review: The Hired Girl

The Hired Girl The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Hired Girl is a great historical fiction novel about being a young women in the early 20th century.

Summary from Goodreads:
Fourteen-year-old Joan Skraggs, just like the heroines in her beloved novels, yearns for real life and true love. But what hope is there for adventure, beauty, or art on a hardscrabble farm in Pennsylvania where the work never ends? Over the summer of 1911, Joan pours her heart out into her diary as she seeks a new, better life for herself—because maybe, just maybe, a hired girl cleaning and cooking for six dollars a week can become what a farm girl could only dream of—a woman with a future.

Inspired by her grandmother’s journal, Newbery Medalist Laura Amy Schlitz brings her sharp wit and keen eye to early twentieth-century America in a comedic tour de force destined to become a modern classic. Joan’s journey from the muck of the chicken coop to the comforts of a society household in Baltimore (Electricity! Carpet sweepers! Sending out the laundry!) takes its reader on an exploration of feminism and housework, religion and literature, love and loyalty, cats, hats, bunions, and burns.

I really enjoyed this book. Historical fiction is an iffy genre for me. I either love the book or hate it. I loved this book. It was so real and true.

The writing style in this book was amazing. It sounded like it was written in the time period that it was set in. I also liked the format. The journal entries showed a glimpse into Joan's thoughts and mind as she became a hired girl.

Joan was a funny main character. She was intelligent, loved books, and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. I loved how she went through typical teen romances, and dreamed of being treated equally. She was also always optimistic.

This really showed the time frame in a way that I enjoyed. I learned about how ladies acted, and how maids acted. This book gave me a glimse into typical societies rules in that time period.

Overall, this was a wonderful book that kept my attention the whole way through.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment